Friday 16 November 2012

Random acts of kindness from an unemployed giraffe

32-year-old unemployed busker Armstrong Baillie dresses in a giraffe costume and moves around Scotland, performing random acts of kindness to strangers.

Calling himself the Good Giraffe, he explains to the Scotsman.com website why he felt the need to lift people's spirits by doing good deeds:
 
“About a year ago a man in a gorilla costume started playing drums on the streets around Edinburgh and I met him one day when I was visiting friends. He really made me smile, and I know I wasn’t the only one."
 
After this happened, he couldn't shake off the idea and decided to do his own thing. His favorite animal is a giraffe, so he went for a giraffe costume. 
 
"I think it suits my personality too – my head is in the clouds but my heart is in the right place,” he noted. 
 
He has since been out and about and some of his favorite tricks are walking dogs, cleaning out boxes at cat homes and giving free coffees to strangers. 
 
“I give out cards with my phone number and ask people to text me ideas. A woman got in touch suggesting I pick up some of the litter on Portobello Beach, so I was down there on Sunday having a bit of a tidy up."

" I also collect money while I’m busking and try to use what I make to do nice things," he said. 
 
Baillie also busks using his kazoo and djembe drum and then uses the donations to do kind deeds, including making children happy.
 
“If I make enough I go to a local toy shop – not a big chain, I like to support smaller businesses – and pick something up, then take it to the nearest children’s ward." 
 
" I hurt one of my legs quite badly when I was three, and my earliest memory is being given a toy truck while I was in hospital, and being absolutely thrilled with it.” 
 
He said: "It makes me happy when I see the difference in people when they see me in the suit. It makes them happy and it makes me feel cheery."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/336998#ixzz2CNi9GZ8z
  32-year-old unemployed busker Armstrong Baillie dresses in a giraffe costume and moves around Scotland, performing random acts of kindness to strangers.
Calling himself the Good Giraffe, he explains to the Scotsman.com website why he felt the need to lift people's spirits by doing good deeds:


Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/336998#ixzz2CNhtu3q7

No comments:

Post a Comment